(Last update: November, 2017)
Journal papers (selected)
- “Software Platforms for Smart Cities: Concepts, Requirements, Challenges, and a Unified Reference Architecture”, ACM Computing Surveys. 2017.
- “Code Smells for Model-View-Controller Architectures”, Empirical Software Engineering. DOI: 10.1007/s10664-017-9540-2. 2017.
- "Difficulties of Programming Learning from the Point of View of Students and Instructors”, IEEE Latin American Transactions, 15(11), ISSN 1548-0992, 2017.
- “Using contextual information to predict co-change”, Journal of Systems and Software (JSS), Elsevier, ISSN 0164-1212, V. 128, June 2017, pp. 220-235.
- “A static change impact analysis approach based on metrics and visualizations to support the evolution of workflow repositories”, International Journal of Web Services Research (IJWSR), 13(2), IGI Publishing, ISSN 1545-7362, p. 74-101.
- "A systematic literature review on the barriers faced by newcomers to open source software projects". Information and Software Technology, V. 59, March 2015, p. 67-85.
- "Evolving the System's Core: A Case Study on the Identification and Characterization of Key Developers in Apache Ant” . Computing and Informatics, Vol. 34 Issue 3, p678-724. ISSN 1335-9150.
- "Does test-driven development improve class design? A qualitative study on developers’ perceptions". SpringerOpen Journal of the Brazilian Computer Society, V. 21, September 2015.
- “Do historical metrics and developers communication aid to predict chance couplings?”. IEEE Latin American Transactions, V. 13, Issue 6.
- "Automated Instructional Design for CSCL: A Hierarchical Task Network Planning Approach". Expert Systems with Applications, v. 41, p. 3777-3798
- "Awareness Support in Distributed Software Development: A Systematic Review and Mapping of the Literature". Journal of Computer Supported Cooperative Work (JCSCW), v. 22, Issue 2, p. 113-158.
- "A systematic literature review of service choreography adaptation". Journal of Service Oriented Computing and Applications (SOCA), v. 7, p. 199-216.
- "Service-oriented middleware for the Future Internet: state of the art and research directions". Journal of Internet Services and Applications (JISA), Springer London, v. 2, p. 23-45.
- "Is the unfolding of the group discussion off-pattern? Improving coordination support in educational forums using mobile devices". Computers and Education, Elsevier Science Ltd., v. 54, p. 528-544.
- "Applying the 3C Model to Groupware Development". International Journal of Cooperative Information Systems (IJCIS), v.14, n.2-3, World Scientific, p. 299-328.
- "Analysis and Design of Awareness Elements in Collaborative Digital Environments: A Case Study in the AulaNet Learning Environment". The Journal of Interactive Learning Research (JILR), v. 14, No. 3, p. 315-332.
- The Development and Application of Distance Learning Courses on the Internet". Open Learning Journal, v. 17, No. 1, Cartafax Pub, p. 23-38.
Conference papers (selected)
- “How Long and How Much: What to Expect from Summer of Code Participants?”, 33th International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution (ICSME 2017), Shanghai, China.
- “Using Gamification to Orient and Motivate Students to Contribute to OSS projects”, 10th International Workshop on Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering (CHASE 2017), International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- “Tweaking Association Rules to Optimize Software Change Recommendations,” 31th Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering (SBES 2017), Fortaleza, Brazil, September 18-22.
- "Overcoming Open Source Project Entry Barriers with a Portal for Newcomers". ICSE 2016 (38th International Conference on Software Engineering).
- “A Validated Set of Smells in Model-View-Controller Architectures”, in: 32nd IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution (ICSME 2016), Raleigh, North Carolina.
- “Who is who in the mailing list? Comparing six disambiguation heuristics to identify multiple addresses of a participant”, in: 32nd IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution (ICSME 2016), Raleigh, North Carolina.
- “More Common Than You Think: An In-Depth Study of Casual Contributors”, 23rd IEEE International Conference on Software Analysis, Evolution, and Reengineering (SANER 2016), Osaka, March 14-18, p.112-123.
- “How Does the Shift to GitHub Impact Project Collaboration?” 32nd IEEE International Conference on Software Maintenance and Evolution (ICSME 2016), Early Research Achievements (ERA) Track, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- “Training the Future Workforce through Task Curation in an OSS Ecosystem”, ACM SIGSOFT International Symposium on the Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE 2016), Visions and Reflections Track (FSE-VaR), Seattle, WA, USA, November 13-18, 2016.
- “SATT: Tailoring Code Metric Thresholds for Different Software Architectures”, IEEE International Working Conference on Source Code Analysis and Manipulation (SCAM 2016), October 2-3, 2016 - Raleigh, NC, U.S.A.
- “Visual programming and automatic evaluation of exercises: an experience with a STEM course”, Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE 2016), Erie, PA, October, 2016.
- “Developers' Perceptions on Object-Oriented Design and Architectural Roles”, in: 30th Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering (SBES 2016), Maringá, Brazil, September 19-23.
- "Social Barriers Faced by Newcomers Placing Their First Contribution in Open Source Software Projects". ACM CSCW 2015 (18th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work): 1379-1392
- "Experience Report: How do Structural Dependencies Influence Change Propagation? An Empirical Study". ISSRE 2015 (26th IEEE International Symposium on Software Reliability Engineering).
- "An Empirical Study of the Relation Between Strong Change Coupling and Defects Using History and Social Metrics in the Apache Aries Project". OSS 2015 (11th International Conference on Open Source Systems): 3-12.
- "Understanding and Supporting the Choice of an Appropriate Task to Start with in Open Source Software Communities". HICSS 2015 (48th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences): 5299-5308
- “Improving Code Quality on Automated Tests of Web Applications: A Set of Patterns”. PLoP 2014 (21st Conference on Pattern Languages of Programs).
- "Social metrics included in prediction models on software engineering: a mapping study". PROMISE 2014 (10th International Conference on Predictive Models in Software Engineering): 72-81
- "Using Structural Holes Metrics from Communication Networks to Predict Change Dependencies". CRIWG 2014 (20th International Conference on Collaboration and Technology): 294-310
- "Choosing an Appropriate Task to Start with in Open Source Software Communities: A Hard Task". CRIWG 2014 (20th International Conference on Collaboration and Technology): 349-356
- "Systematic review on hindering factors for newcomers to open source projects". OSS 2014 (10th International Conference on Open Source Systems).
- "Deploying Large-Scale Service Compositions on the Cloud with the CHOReOS Enactment Engine". NCA 2014 (13th IEEE International Symposium on Network Computing and Applications): 121-128
- "What Do the Asserts in a Unit Test Tell Us about Code Quality? A Study on Open Source and Industrial Projects". CSMR 2013 (17th European Conference on Software Maintenance and Reengineering): 111-120
- "A Change Impact Analysis Approach for Workflow Repository Management". ICWS 2013 (20th IEEE International Conference on Web Services).
- “Test-Driven Development Step Patterns For Designing Objects Dependencies”. PLoP 2013 (20th Conference on Pattern Languages of Programs).
- "Characterizing Key Developers in a Development Group: A Case Study with Apache Ant". CRIWG 2012 (17th CRIWG Conference on Collaboration and Technology), Springer, Lecture Notes in Computer Science.
- "How the Practice of TDD Influences Class Design in Object-Oriented Systems: Patterns of Unit Tests Feedback". SBES 2012 (XXVI Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering): 1-10
- "Collaborative Features in Content Sharing Web 2.0 Social Networks: A Domain Engineering Based on the 3C Collaboration Model". CRIWG 2011 (17th CRIWG Conference on Collaboration and Technology), Springer, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, v.6969, p. 142-157.
- "On the Interplay between Structural and Logical Dependencies in Open-Source Software". SBES 2011 (25th Brazilian Symposium on Software Engineering): 144-153
- "Awareness Support in Global Software Development: A Systematic Review Based on the 3C Collaboration Model". CRIWG 2010 (International Conference on Collaboration and Technology), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, v. 6257, p. 185-201.
- "Inter- and Intra-Relationships between Communication Coordination and Cooperation in the Scope of the 3C Collaboration Model". CSCWD 2008 (12th International Conference on CSCW in Design), v. I, p. 148-153.
- “Development of Groupware based on the 3C Collaboration Model and Component Technology”. CRIWG 2006 (12th International Conference on Groupware): Lecture Notes on Computer Science LNCS 4154, p. 302-309.
- "No Need to Read Messages Right Now: Helping Mediators to Steer Educational Forums Using Statistical and Visual Information". CSCL 2005 (Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Conference): 160-169
- "Assessment of Collaboration in Online Courses". CSCL 2005 (Computer Supported Collaborative Learning Conference): 494-498
- "Towards an Engineering Approach for Groupware Development: Learning from the AulaNet LMS Development". CSCWD 2005 (12th International Conference on CSCW in Design), v. 1, p. 329-333.
- "Analyzing Discourse Structure to Coordinate Educational Forums". ICITS 2004 (7th International Conference on Intelligent Tutoring Systems): Lecture Notes on Computer Science LNCS 3220, p. 262-272.
- "Combining Communication and Coordination toward Articulation of Collaborative Activities". CRIWG 2004 (International Conference on Collaboration and Technology), Lecture Notes on Computer Science LNCS 3198, p. 121-136.
- "Modeling Coordination in Business-Webs". I3E 2003 (3rd IFIP Conference on E-commerce, E-business and E-government): 549-559
- "Competency Management for Group Formation in the AulaNet Learning Environment". CRIWG 2003 (International Conference on Collaboration and Technology), Lecture Notes in Computer Science 2806, p. 183-190
- "Using Groupware Tools to Extend the Organizational Memory with Collaboration Aspects". CSCWD 2002 (7th International Conference on Collaboration and Technology): 314-319
- "Use of categorization and structuring of messages in order to organize the discussion and reduce information overload in asynchronous textual communication tools". CRIWG 2001 (International Conference on Collaboration and Technology): 136-141
Workshop papers (selected)
- “Fostering Free/Libre Open Source Software community formation: guidelines for communities to support newcomers’ onboarding”. WSL 2015 (XVI International Free Software Workshop).
- “The hard life of open source software project newcomers”. CHASE 2014 (7th International Workshop on Cooperative and Human Aspects of Software Engineering), International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE).
- “Onboarding, and Retaining Newcomer Developers in Open Source Software Projects”.. NEXGSD 2014 (Workshop of Global Software Development in a CSCW perspective), 17th ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing.
- “Are All Methods in Your Data Access Objects (DAOs) In The Right Place? A Preliminary Study”... MTD 2014 (5th International Workshop on Managing Technical Debt).
- “Comparing communication and development networks for predicting file change proneness: An exploratory study considering process and social metrics”. SQM 2014 (8th International Workshop on Software Quality and Maintainability), Electronic Communications of the EASST, v. 65.
- "What Can Commit Metadata Tell Us About Design Degradation?". IWPSE 2013 (13th International Workshop on Principles on Software Evolution).
- "Preprocessing Change-Sets to Improve Logical Dependencies Identification". SQM 2012 (6th International Workshop on Software Quality and Maintainability): 17-24.
- “Recommending Mentors to Software Project Newcomers”,. RSSE 2012 (3rd International Workshop on Recommendation Systems for Software Engineering), ICSE.
- "Towards a Classification of Logical Dependencies Origins: A Case Study". IWPSE-EVOL '11 (12th International Workshop on Principles of Software Evolution and the 7th annual ERCIM Workshop on Software Evolution): 31-40
- “XFlow: An Extensible Tool for Empirical Analysis of Software Systems Evolution”. ESELAW 2011 (8th Experimental Software Engineering Latin American Workshop).
- "Prescribing e-Learning Activities Using Workflow Technologies". CSAC 2004 (1st International Workshop on Computer Supported Activity Coordination): International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems – ICEIS.
Book chapters (selected)
- "Change coupling between software artifacts: learning from past changes". The Art and Science of Analyzing Software Data, Elsevier, ISBN 978-0124115194, 2015.
- "The 3C Collaboration Model". The Encyclopedia of E-Collaboration, ISBN 978-1-59904-000-4, p. 637-644, 2007.
- "Communication, Coordination and Cooperation in Computer-Supported Learning: The AulaNet Experience". Advances in Computer-Supported Learning, ISBN 1-59904-356-4, p. 274-297, 2007.
- "Using the AulaNet Learning Environment to Implement Collaborative Learning via Internet". Innovations 2003 – World Innovations in Engineering Education and Research, iNEER, USA, Chap. 23, ISBN 0-9741252-0-2, p. 225-235, 2003.
Edited work (selected)
- de Vreede, G.-J., Antunes, P., Vassileva, J., Gerosa, M.A., Wu, K. (orgs), “Special Issue on Collaboration Technology in Teams and Organizations”, Information Systems Frontiers Journal, ISSN 1387-3326, 2016.
- "Special Issue on Software Engineering from a Social Network Perspective". SpringerOpen Journal of Internet Services and Applications (JISA), 2015.
- "Proceedings of the 19th International Conference on Groupware (CRIWG 2013)". Lecture Notes in Computer Science, v. 8224.
- "Theme: “Web Service Choreographies”. IEEE Computing Now, October 2011
- "Proceeding of the VII Brazilian Symposium on Collaborative Systems (SBSC)", IEEE, 2010.
- "Proceeding of the IV Brazilian Symposium on Collaborative Systems (SBSC)", SBC, ISBN 85-7669-126-4, 2007.
For a complete and updated list of publications, see the information on the top of this page.
For an indication of impact, see Some Numbers.