Some useful Sites
Some basic concepts
- Overhead: overhead is generally considered any combination of excess or indirect
computation time, memory, bandwidth, or other.
- PTAS: polynomial-time approximation scheme.
- FPTAS: fully polynomial-time approximation scheme.
- Scalability: is the ability of a computer application or product (hardware or software) to continue to function well when it is changed in size or volume in order to meet a user need. Typically, the rescaling is to a larger size or volume.
- Latency: The time it takes for a specific block of data on a data track to rotate around to the read/write head.
- Parameter Sweep Applications: Are a class of application in which the same code is
run multiple times using unique sets of input parameter values. This
includes varying one parameter over a range of values or varying multiple
parameters over a large multidimensional space.
- Bag of Tasks: BoT applications are those parallel applications whose tasks are independent.
- Host Speed: Measure of the host speed.
- Host Load: The load of the host due to the local processes.
- Task Size: The completion time of a task in a host with Host Speed = 1, and Host Load = 0.
- Lockstep systems are redundant computing systems that run the same set of operations
at the same time in parallel. The output from lockstep operations can be
compared to determine if there has been a fault.
- RMS: Resource Management and Systems.
- VLSI: Very Large Scale Integration.
Some interesting questions and assertions
- How do you handle millions of tasks?
- How do you handle failures?
- Small jobs are the pain!!!
- Large jobs are a pain too!!!
- Simulation for distributed applications still taking baby steps
- It's estimated that computers spend over 80% of their time sorting
- Insertion Sort is generally considered a good solution if only a few elements need sorting, because
it is such a short algorithm. If you are dealing with a large amount of data, however, insertion sort
is a poor choice because it is too time consuming. In that case, better algorithms are known, such as
mergesort, quicksort and heapsort
In Portuguese: Objetivo da "Disertação de Mestrado"
- Artigo 11 - Considera-se dissertação de mestrado o trabalho
supervisionado que demonstre capacidade de sistematização da
literatura existente sobre o tema tratado e capacidade de utilização
dos métodos e técnicas de investigação científica, tecnológica ou
Disciplinas (In portuguese)
- MAC5716 - Laboratório de Programação Extrema
- MAC5855 - Tópicos Especiais em Desenvolvimento para Web
- MAC5856 - Desenvolvimento de Software Livre
- Trabalho no projeto de software livre
- MAC5758 - Introdução ao Escalonamento e Aplicações
- MAC5711 - Análise de Algoritmos
- The world is yours.
- Don't disturb.