seminario

Pedro Morettin <pam@ime.usp.br>

Seminário

Séries Temporais, Análise de Dependência e
Aplicações em Atuária e Finanças.

Dia 25/10/2005, Terça Feira, 17 horas, Sala 247, Bloco A.

   How Persistent is Stock Return Volatility? An Answer with Markov
       Regime Switching Stochastic Volatility Models

                     Pedro L. Valls Pereira
                         Ibmec São Paulo

Abstract
We use stochastic volatility models with Markov regime changing state equation
to  investigate the important properties of volatility in stock returns, high
persistence and smoothness. We show that volatility is far less persistent and
smooth than the GARCH or  stochastic volatility models suggest.
Our further analysis shows that volatility is less persistent in high
volatility regimes than in  low volatility regimes. These results indicate
that the extreme persistence we frequently  observe from daily stock index
returns is led by changes in regime as well as persistent  low volatility
regimes.

----- End forwarded message -----

Pedro Morettin <pam@ime.usp.br>