[Prévia cron rev] [Próxima Cron rev] [Prévia por assunto] [Próxima por assunto]
[Índice cronológico reverso] [Índice de assunto] [Índice de autor]

O espaço público intelectual ("The Commons")

Na(s) próxima(s) aula(s) abordaremos o tema da informação aberta e do
espaço público intelectual que se estabelece em torno dela.

Favor ler (pelo menos) este artigo:

  Lawrence Lessig
  The Architecture of Innovation
  http://www.law.duke.edu/pd/papers/lessig.pdf

Este artigo é parte de uma coleção interessantíssima, que foi a base
de uma reunião na Univerisdade Duke na semana passad. O tema desta
conferência era exatamente a caracterização do espaço informacional de
domínio público.

A URL da conferência é esta:

  http://www.law.duke.edu/pd/papers.html

Todos os textos importantes da conferência estão disponíveis a partir
desta página.

Além deste material recomendamos a visita a estes sítios:

  http://www.ime.usp.br/~is/informacaoaberta/

  http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org/

  http://www.nature.com/nature/debates/e-access/index.html

O livro CODE, ... do Lessig contém uma definição do "The Commons" que
transcrevo abaixo:

Final Paragraph of Chapter 10, Intellectual Property, in
Lessig's book: CODE and other laws of Cyberspace.

  "The Commons

  An intellectual commons I feel much more strongly about.

  We can architect cyberspace to preserve a commons or
  not. (Jefferson thought that nature had already done the
  architecting, but Jefferson wrote before there was code.) We should
  choose to architect it with commons. Our past had a commons that
  could not be designed away; that commons gave our culture great
  value. What value the commons of the future could bring us is
  something we are just beginning to see. Intellectual property
  scholars saw it - long before cyberspace came along - and laid the
  groundwork for much of the argument we need to have now. The
  greatest work in the law of cyberspace has been written in the field
  of intellectual property. In a wide range of contexts, these
  scholars have made a powerful case for the substantive value of an
  intellectual commons.

  James Boyle puts the case most dramatically in his extraordinary
  book Shamans, Software and Spleens. Drawing together both cyberspace
  and noncyberspace questions, he spells out the challenge we face in
  an information society - and particularly the political challenge we
  face.  Elsewhere he identifies our need for an "environmental
  movement" in information policy - a rhetoric that gets people to see
  the broad range of values put at risk by this movement to propertize
  all information.

  We are far from that understanding just now, and this book, on its
  own, won't get us much closer. It is all that I can do here to point
  to the choice we will have to make, and hint, as I have, about a
  direction."

Boa leitura,

Imre Simon